Horn players can play the Wagner tuba, despite the name
Wagner really liked the sound of the tuba. But the tuba's tone is too heavy to play the melody, so he conceived of a hybrid instrument half way between a horn and a tuba. This is called the Wagner tuba, and its resonant timbre can be heard in the musical drama The Ring of the Nibelung. The Wagner tuba was also employed in Stravinsky's and Bruckner's music.
The name includes the word "tuba," but the timbre and style of playing is similar to the horn, and in modern orchestra's the horn players are tasked with playing this instrument.
Musical Instrument Guide : Horn Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
- Famous horn works
- Mesmerizing fifths
- What does a very long horn sound like?
- The visual effect of "bells up"
- Mozart loved a good prank
- Is that the nature of the horn?
- An instrument by day, and a drinking mug by night
- Horn players can play the Wagner tuba, despite the name
- Why are horns included in woodwind quintets?
- What do you call someone who plays a horn?
- The reason that alto horns are used in brass bands
- What is a Vienna horn?
- Garlands do not deaden sound
- What is the Knopf model?
- New instruments have just been washed