Asked what was so attractive about the horn, one horn player said, "Horn fifths." A "horn fifth" is the sound of two horns playing together shown in the notes on the right. This needs to be changed if the notes are beneath the text as in this document. Listen to the beautiful harmony. This beautiful sound has been loved since the days of the natural horn, which did not have valves and could only play in natural harmonics, and so it appears in the melodies of many composers. The third movement of Beethoven's Third Symphony is one example of this.
Musical Instrument Guide : Horn Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
- Famous horn works
- Mesmerizing fifths
- What does a very long horn sound like?
- The visual effect of "bells up"
- Mozart loved a good prank
- Is that the nature of the horn?
- An instrument by day, and a drinking mug by night
- Horn players can play the Wagner tuba, despite the name
- Why are horns included in woodwind quintets?
- What do you call someone who plays a horn?
- The reason that alto horns are used in brass bands
- What is a Vienna horn?
- Garlands do not deaden sound
- What is the Knopf model?
- New instruments have just been washed