It is possible to increase the pitch even as you extend the slide
In general, the longer the tube, the lower the note. However, trombone players can play higher notes as they extend the slide, simply by closing their mouths and changing how they blow into the instrument. It's hard to explain in writing, so take a look at the video. This technique is used when playing thin sound patterns during jazz performances.
Musical Instrument Guide:Trombone Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
Care and Maintenance
- God is in the trombone
- The trombone was a bit of a problem for cavalries...
- A trombone that would scare even a snake!
- Two instruments, both tenor, but quite different!
- A trombone player walks into pawnshop...
- You can trill just by moving your mouth
- It is possible to increase the pitch even as you extend the slide
- Famous pieces from trombone concertos
- Orchestra pieces in which the trombone plays an important role
- The Yamaha quartet
- For trombones, why does sheet music notation differ from the fundamental tone of the instrument?
- A bass trombone-with an F attachment only