Is the "contra-fagotto" a contrabassoon?

"Fagotto" and bassoon are names that vary according to country. In Italy and Germany, "fagotto" is used, but in English-speaking countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom, "bassoon" is used, and in Japan both names are used.
The range of the "contra-fagotto" is one octave below that of the "fagotto", but it is also known as the contrabassoon.
As an instrument that uses the French system, the basson is used across France, Spain, Switzerland and the French-speaking areas of Canada, but in recent years bassoons that use the German system have become the most common, and basson musicians have become fewer in number.