Violin masterpieces: Solos III
Debussy: Violin Sonata in G Minor
This is the sole violin sonata left behind by Debussy. During his final years Debussy had planned a collection of six sonatas, but he sadly passed away after only finishing the third piece, which we now call "Violin Sonata in G Minor." This means that this song effectively serves as Debussy's death song.
This piece is the most famous of Ravel's violin music. "Tzigane" ("zigeuner" in German) is the French word for "gypsy," and this piece is related to "Zigeunerweisen." A difficult piece that requires the utmost in skill, it serves as a perfect challenge for violinists.
Kreisler: "Liebesfreud," "Liebesleid," and "Schon Rosmarin"
In addition to being one of the great violinists of the first half of this century, Fritz Kreisler also left behind many small pieces that are true gems of violin music. The three pieces mentioned here form the "Three Old Viennese Dances" trilogy, and each one is a graceful waltz. As with Kreisler's other works, these violin masterpieces are often played as encores.
Musical Instrument Guide : Violin Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
Care and Maintenance
- The f-hole used to be a C-hole or S-hole
- Why the f-hole?
- Violinists must bow to the horse
- Steel strings or gut strings? That is the question
- Is the chinrest the unsung hero of the violin?
- Most violin varnishes are also medicines
- Violin masterpieces: Solos I
- Violin masterpieces: Solos II
- Violin masterpieces: Solos III
- Violin masterpieces: Concertos I
- Violin masterpieces: Concertos II
- Viola masterpieces: Chamber music
- Viola masterpieces: Concertos
- Cello masterpieces: Concertos I
- Cello masterpieces: Concertos II
- Cello masterpieces: Solos
- Contrabass masterpieces: Concertos
- Contrabass masterpieces: Chamber music
- Orchestral masterpieces featuring the contrabass
- What do you call the part on the bow that you hold?