Violin masterpieces: Solos I
If the piano is the king of instruments, then surely the violin is the queen. The fascinating timbre of the violin rivals that of the human voice, and has inspired composers to create many masterpieces. In this section we introduce a few solo masterpieces.
J.S. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin (BWV 1001-1006)
Just as Bach's solo cello suites are seen as the "bible" of cellists, this masterpiece can be said to serve a similar function for violinists. "Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor (BWV1004)" is particularly famous for its final movement, "Chaconne," which is a truly monumental work in violin music.
Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer Sonata"
Although Beethoven left behind 10 violin sonatas, "Kreutzer Sonata" is known as a true masterpiece. The piece was named after Rodolphe Kreutzer, a great violinist who was a contemporary of Beethoven's. It is also known for inspiring Tolstoy, the great Russian writer, to write his novel, The Kreutzer Sonata.
Paganini: Caprice No. 1
"Caprice" is seen along with Bach's solos as a "bible" for modern violinists. Formed from 24 pieces, this suite is an exceptionally artistic work that makes use of many violin playing techniques. Schumann and Liszt have also composed practice pieces based on this work.
Musical Instrument Guide : Violin Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
Care and Maintenance
- The f-hole used to be a C-hole or S-hole
- Why the f-hole?
- Violinists must bow to the horse
- Steel strings or gut strings? That is the question
- Is the chinrest the unsung hero of the violin?
- Most violin varnishes are also medicines
- Violin masterpieces: Solos I
- Violin masterpieces: Solos II
- Violin masterpieces: Solos III
- Violin masterpieces: Concertos I
- Violin masterpieces: Concertos II
- Viola masterpieces: Chamber music
- Viola masterpieces: Concertos
- Cello masterpieces: Concertos I
- Cello masterpieces: Concertos II
- Cello masterpieces: Solos
- Contrabass masterpieces: Concertos
- Contrabass masterpieces: Chamber music
- Orchestral masterpieces featuring the contrabass
- What do you call the part on the bow that you hold?