Pipe organ treasures in Tokyo
In Europe there is a history of pipe organ construction in every country, but in Japan their construction at full scale only began in the latter half of the 20th century. With a diverse tradition, and a lack of prohibitive controls, a variety of styles of organ have been built. In the Tokyo area particularly there are a large number of installations with instruments in varied styles, which would be interesting and fun to look around.
While church installations are typically located in the upper rear of the building, concert hall organs can mostly be found near the stage. If you try listening to a performance while facing the rear of the church, it might feel quite different.
Musical Instrument Guide : Pipe Organ Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Care and Maintenance
- Various sizes, from large-scale to pocket-sized
- Can you tell an expensive instrument from its sound?
- Changing fashions in the number of manuals
- Partial bass range
- Delay between play and sound
- Appreciating the aesthetics of churches
- Pipe organ treasures in Tokyo
- Sound that varies according to where it is heard