Can you tell an expensive instrument from its sound?
This relates to an anecdotal story from Europe. When a pipe organ is played for a funeral at a church, it is said that one can quickly tell whether or not the deceased was rich on hearing the sound. The reason is that a rich man can afford to employ many more organ blowers, so the sound is louder and the music can be played for longer!
Musical Instrument Guide : Pipe Organ Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Care and Maintenance
- Various sizes, from large-scale to pocket-sized
- Can you tell an expensive instrument from its sound?
- Changing fashions in the number of manuals
- Partial bass range
- Delay between play and sound
- Appreciating the aesthetics of churches
- Pipe organ treasures in Tokyo
- Sound that varies according to where it is heard