Recorder = Flute?

Until the latter half of the 18th century, which is to say until the Baroque period in terms of musical history, the name "flute" was used to refer to the recorder.
To differentiate it from the recorder, the transverse flute was referred to in Italian as the "Flauto toraverso," in German as the "Querflöte," and in French as the "Flute traversière," all of which mean a "horizontal flute."
Furthermore, if we look at the names used for the recorder in each country today, it is generally known as the "Flauto dolce" in Italy, the "Blockflöte" in Germany, and the "Flûte à bec" in France.