* Subject to change without notice
= Live Broadcast
= On Demand Weekend
Yu Lei (China), Second Prize
2019 International e-Piano
Lloyd Ultan Recital Hall at University of Minnesota
2106 S 4th St
Minneapolis, MN 55455
This special rebroadcast features Second Prize winner Yu Lei of China. Yu first started the piano with his father when he was three-and-a-half years old. By age four, he had given his first public recital. When Yu was five, he won first prize at the Shanghai International Youth Piano Competition. Since the age of eight, he has been studying with Professor Zhou Ting. Now he studies at the Music Middle School Affiliated to the Shanghai Conservatory of Music.
He has won various prestigious awards which include the first-prize of the All Japan Junior Piano Concours, the first prize of the IIYM 2018 International Piano Competition in the United States, making him the youngest ever winner, and the first prize of 2018 the 16th Ettlingen International Competition for Young Pianists in Germany.
Yu has been invited to give concerts at grand theatres and concert halls in Germany, the United States, and Japan. He also performed in many cities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xiamen, etc., and received high acclaim for his performances. In 2019 alone, he has given nine public recitals. In addition to playing the piano, Yu has many diverse interests that include sports and reading.
The selections featured in this performance include:
- Sonata No. 7 in D Major, Op. 10 No. 3 I. Presto (Ludwig van Beethoven)
- Paganini Etude No. 3,“La Campanella”, S. 141/3 (Franz Liszt)
- Dance Macabre Op. 40 (C. Saint-Saens/F. Liszt arr. Horowitz)
- Variations serieuses, Op. 54 (Felix Mendelssohn)
- Sonata Op. 26, I. Allegro energico, II. Allegro vivace e leggero, III. Adagio mesto, IV. Fuga:Allegro con spirito (Samuel Barber)
This performance was originally streamed live and broadcast from the 2019 International e-Piano Junior Competition in July 2019, in Minneapolis, MN.