February 1, 2016
Promoting Environmentally Friendly Product Development
Introduction of the "Yamaha Eco-Products program"
Aiming to Offer Easy-to-Understand Information to Customers Who Are Concerned about the Natural Environment Displaying the Yamaha Eco-Label on Products that Meet Yamaha's Eco-Standards
Yamaha Corporation (Headquarters: Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan; President and Representative Director, Takuya Nakata; hereinafter, Yamaha) has promoted the development of environmentally friendly products in the Yamaha Group as a whole to contribute to the creation of a sustainable society. To further these environmental initiatives, Yamaha announces the introduction of the Yamaha Eco-Products program.
Outline of the program
The Yamaha Eco-Products program is an initiative aimed at certifying environmentally-friendly products that meet standards established by Yamaha. The Yamaha Eco-Label (shown on the right) is attached to those products certified as Yamaha Eco-Products. The aim of the program is to provide customers with environmental-related information and facilitate their identification of our products meeting these standards when they select items to purchase.
Concepts behind the Yamaha Eco-Products program
To promote the development of eco-friendly products, the Yamaha Group has set "Product Environmental Quality Objectives" that take account of environmental preservation, sustainability of materials supply, value for consumers, and other qualities. Those products that meet these standards are specially certified as Yamaha Eco-Products that make major contributions toward realizing these objectives.
Yamaha Product Environmental Quality Objectives
- Reduction in the content of harmful substances and volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Employment of alternatives to rare woods: Switching to materials that contribute to sustainability
- Promotion of saving and reuse of resources
- Reduction in energy consumed during usage
- Development of products that feature environmental performance that makes them more attractive, and make an appeal to consumers for these qualities
Certification Standards for the Yamaha Eco-Products
Yamaha products that achieve one or more of the following will be certified:
- In comparison within the same product category of in-house manufactured products, the product is found to have remarkably enhanced*1 environmental performance*2 compared with the base year*3 or benchmark value*4.
- In the same product category in the industry, the product is found to have been designed to have the top quantitative environmental performance.
- In the same product category in the industry, the product is found to be designed to have not just standard, but excellent qualitative environmental performance.
- The product has received third-party certification or an award for environmentally friendliness.
- *1: Verified to show improvement of not less than 20%
- *2: The environmental efficiency, defined as product performance and environmental load, is acceptable.
- *3: Not exceeding five (5) years from the date of the application
- *4: As based on specified values, guideline values, legal standard values, voluntary standard values, etc.